Be your own Boss
If you have a good business idea, being self-employed or starting a small business can be very rewarding but it can take a lot of hard work and dedication.
Self-employment can offer:
- An opportunity to do something you enjoy and are good at
- A chance to be your own boss
- Flexible working hours
How to get started?
- Is there a gap in the market for your idea?
- How much money will you need to set-up?
- Where will this money come from?
- What equipment will you need?
- Where will you work from eg home or an office?
- Will you need to employ anyone else?
There is plenty of free information, advice and practical support available to help you set up your own business.
Humber LEP Start-Up Your gateway to finding finance, advice and support for starting or growing your business in the Humber region.
The Princes Trust Enterprise Programme offers support to young people aged 18-30 to explore self employment.
Gov.uk For free access to online tutorials and advice on how to start, including developing your business idea, tax, finance and marketing, visit
Start up Britain is a national campaign set up by 8 entrepreneurs last year, with the support of the government. It offers links to many sources of information.
Business in You case studies of successful entrepreneurs and help to find a mentor.
John Cracknell Youth Enterprise Bank which is for young people aged up to and including 21 years old, and offers grants of up to £1,000 for individuals or groups of young people who need finance to help make their idea happen.