Healthy eating is about getting the right amounts of vitamins, minerals, protein and carbohydrates, as well as the right types of fats and sugars in your diet.
What is a healthy diet?
Make sure you eat the right balance, of the right foods:
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day
- Base your meals on starchy foods like potatoes, brown rice and wholemeal bread
- Try to eat oily fish such as mackerel, salmon or tuna a couple of days each week
- Always go for low-fat cheese, milk and yoghurt
- Try and cut down the number high fat or high sugar snacks and drinks you have each week
- You should also monitor your salt intake, snacks or meals that contain more than 1.25 grams per 100g is a lot
Getting rid of bad habits
No matter how much exercise you do, eating a lot of fatty junk foods can damage your body. Having a balanced diet is a good way of maintaining a healthy weight, without going on a strict diet.
Don’t miss breakfast!
A healthy breakfast boosts your vitamin and mineral intake. A bowl of cereal and a glass of fruit juice, will see you through until lunchtime.
Try to avoid snacking between meals but if you can’t, eat fruit or nuts, they give an energy boost and contain fats and sugars that are better for you.
Diets and Weight
Don’t be tempted to try one of the diets you find in magazines, these diets are generally not a good idea. They don’t always work and may encourage you to miss out some important food types in your daily diet.
Cutting down on sweet foods and fatty snacks and doing regular exercise, is much healthier and better for you.